Tuesday 1 March 2016

Patchwork Update: February

Species: 73
Points:77

Additions this month: 6
Pheasant, Shelduck, Water Rail, Buzzard, Redshank, Goosander



I feel I could have pulled a few more out the bag in February, but in the end I finished the month on the same as the last two years, 73 Species. The fact I went away to Lincoln, Norfolk and Edinburgh over 3 of the weekends meant that visits were limited, although I did mange to get at least one visit in on every weekend, but not always at the best time of day, and not always covering a lot of ground.

Highlights included the first returning Shelduck of the year,a species that I've only recently started seeing regularly on the patch, since the habitat work done a couple of winters ago. I also didnt see one til the end of march last year, and there have now been 2 pairs that have stuck around all month. Starling murmurations have been spectacular too, and Wigeon numbers on the A52 pit have been excellent, with a flock of just under 1000 birds recorded late in the month. Another good one would be the 1st Goosander I've seen in a few Winters on site, which would be better had I actually seen it properly, but it was just a speck in the distance when it was pointed out to me... guess it still counts.

It has been a tough month though, and sometimes it feels like going through the motions, with very few new additions, but thats patch birding for you, especially in late winter. I really would have expected to have seen Jay, Skylark and Meadow Pipit by now, and i'm still gunning for some less common bits before the main spring passage such as Whooper Swan or some scarce duck, but its just a case of sticking at it and seeing what turns up.

Previous march totals are 79 (2014) and 81 (2015), so my target is at least 8 additions this month, lets see how I do.




No comments:

Post a Comment