Tuesday 31 January 2017

Patchwork 2017 - January Update

Species 64
Points 69

Not a bad start to my 4th Patchwork Challenge year at Holme Pierrepont. I didnt get on patch until the 14th, due to a busy start to the year (and terrible weather on new years day), but it was a good first visit, with a Great White Egret patch-tick to kick things off.
The next weekend bumped the numbers up considerably, with the Sibe Chiff and Smew helping things along nicely, as well as some interest in the form of a wintering Common Sandpiper and an early Shelduck.

My final visit to the patch (only 4 visits this month!) was last Sunday morning, which was a rare treat as I actually got to go out first thing. A decent session, starting with another Smew, and another (presumably the same) Great White Egret, back after a 2 week absence. Only 3 additions to the yearlist however, which was a shame, but it was still a productive morning. The downside was later in the day, hearing that 2 Tundra Bean geese had dropped in with a Pink-footed goose. I had mentioned Bean geese in my previous post, but sadly I was otherwise engaged. Its all part of patch-birding though, you can't see it all, even if you wish you could!

I think with a few extra visits, I could have ended with a better total, but its still the usual mid-60's mark I have come to expect by the end of January. Still plenty to go for, including some easy ones like Little Grebe, Mistle Thrush, Fieldfare and Reed Bunting. I'd say i could get close to 100 before the spring migrants return, but it all depends on how much time I put in during February, and as I am away for the first two weekends, things aren't looking great!

No comments:

Post a Comment